NORENE JONES ALEXANDER

Posted On May 25th, 2012 -

NORENE JONES ALEXANDER

86, passed away May 11, 2012 after a fall. Mrs. Alexander was a tireless advocate for the medical profession, children, and Hawaii’s fragile eco-system. She and her late husband, Henry A. Alexander, were a couple with deep and abiding faith who shared their love of life as they mentored countless others.
Born in 1925, Cherokee, Iowa, Mrs. Alexander enjoyed sports and music in her teen years and graduated from Clarkson School of Nursing. She arrived in Honolulu in 1946 to help fill Hawaii’s nursing shortage and worked at Puunene Sugar Company where she met and married Mr. Alexander, great-great grandson of four missionary families. Together they made a difference in every community in which they lived.
Mrs. Alexander learned to love flower shows as a member of the Hilo Women’s Club, and after moving to Honolulu, joined The Garden Club of Honolulu. Mrs. Alexander shared her passion by teaching others in the club, at Lyon Arboretum, and in TGCH’s project at the women’s prison. Among other positions, she was President of TGCH and Vice President of the Garden Club of America.
During her ten years as nurse at Punahou School, Mrs. Alexander tended to the four thousand students, faculty, and staff. Her community spirit served the Honolulu Academy of Arts as she researched and helped to pioneer the Garden Cafe. She was an active member of Central Union Church for 45 years where she shared her leadership in many capacities. She worked closely with her husband in commercial real estate sales, later joining Choi Realty.
Predeceased by her husband and by her son, James Alton, Mrs. Alexander is survived by Mary Ann and Preston Lentz, their three children, Elizabeth, Alexander (Noelle), and Christopher, and her sister, Maryann Balassa of Colorado. A celebration of her life will be held at Central Union Church at 5 p.m. on May 31. She will be memorialized in Mission Cemetery, and in lieu of flowers, she requested contributions be made to Hawaiian Mission Houses Historic Site and Archives, 553 South King Street.


- Denotes U.S. Military Veteran