Bonnie left a legacy of patriotic services as noted in one citation:
"The dedication and initiative exhibited by Major Heim throughout her career mark her as an exceptionally professional officer and one truly deserving of this meritorious award. The singularly distinctive accomplishments of Major Heim reflect great credit upon herself and the United States Air Force."
She received many commendations and awards including:
* SMALL ARMS EXPERT MARKSMANSHIP RIBBON,
* GOOD CONDUCT MEDAL AIR FORCE,
* AIR FORCE LONGEVITY SERVICE RIBBON WITH 4 OAK LEAF CLUSTERS,
* NATIONAL DEFENSE SERVICE MEDAL,
* VIETNAM SERVICE MEDAL WITH 1 SERVICE STAR,
* AIR FORCE PRESIDENTIAL UNIT CITATION,
* AIR FORCE OUTSTANDING UNIT AWARD WITH 1 OAK LEAF CLUSTER,
* REPUBLIC OF VIETNAM CAMPAIGN MEDAL,
* THE MERITORIOUS SERVICE MEDAL,
* THE AIR FORCE COMMENDATION MEDAL
• Bonnie was Chief of Protocol, the first female commander of a non-female organization at Hickam AFB , HI
• U-Tapao AB,Thailand, MAC Liaison officer
• Travis AFB, CA, Wing Commander's Assistant Exec Officer; Career Development Officer for base officers
• Hickam AFB, HI, OIC, ATOC; Sq Exec Officer; OIC, Passenger Service; OIC, Air Freight. (First Female OIC of major Air Freight terminal in MAC)
• Navel Support Activity MTMC Gulf Outport, New Orleans, LA, Asst Ch Operations; Security Law Enforcement; Ch, Stevedoring; Ch, Terminals Branch.
• Scott AFB, IL, Transportation, Human Resource Officer, Ch, Transportation Hyman Resource Management Branch DCS TR Staff
Retiring after 21 years of military service, Bonnie made Kailua, Hawaii, her home with her mom at the Meridian East. She loved the view of the ocean from her 10th floor apartment. Retirement did not slow Bonnie down at all.
• Bonnie served for four years as Chairman of the Kailua Neighborhood Board
• In 1992 Bonnie was the Republican Candidate for the House of Representatives, 2nd Congressional District.
• Later she was the Executive Director of the Hawaii Republican Party.
Bonnie also enjoyed serving as an Usher at First Presbyterian Church of Honolulu in Kaneohe.
In 2018, Bonnie was able to realize her lifelong dream of visiting the Holy Land by joining a group of her church friends where she was able to visit the places where her mom Leora had preached the gospel.
Bonnie was a generous, faithful friend with a servant's heart! We will miss her wonderful smile and her lovely soprano voice!
On a personal note, your friends will sing your birthday song!
Happy Birthday Bonnie, we're so glad it's your birthday
Who sez you're over the hill, you're a knockout still!
God designed you for His Will
Happy Birthday Bonnie, like your mom a great bible teacher
Substituting in her place, lites up her lovely face
She is just so proud of you
Happy Birthday Bonnie, First Pres Church loves you
And Jesus does too
Happy Birthday Bonnie, we gals appreciate you
Thanks for being just YOU!
With open arms, Jesus said,
"Welcome home, Bonnie, My good and faithful servant!"
Join with us as we sing together Bonnie's favorite hymn!
Oh, how He loves you and me
Oh, how He loves you and me
He gave His life, what more can He give
Oh, how He loves you
Oh, how He loves me
Oh, how He loves you and me!
Interment will be held with honors at the
National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific at Punchbowl,
with a scattering of ashes in her beloved Pacific Ocean at a later date.