ESTHER MARRS Esther Bell Marrs passed away peacefully in her sleep at age 91 on February 22, 2022, after living with vascular dementia for the last 10 years. Esther was predeceased by her daughter, Joanne Shugart, her husband, Ralph Marrs, and her brother, Kuaana Bell. She is survived by her son, Chris Shugart (Susie) of North Carolina, and her daughter, Teri Lynn Kalawakua Shugart (Jim Cook) of Honolulu, and 5 grandchildren: Andrew Shugart, Janette Shugart, Carly Horton, Mitchell Erickson, and Arely Cook.
Esther was born in Honolulu on January 19, 1931. She grew up in Kaimuki and Hauula. Esther attended Kamehameha Schools beginning in 7th grade and graduated in 1949 (Don Ho was a classmate!). While at Kamehameha, Esther served as class president, class vice president and editor of the Kamehameha yearbook.
Esther's parents sent her to the mainland to attend the University of Redlands, where she got her nickname on her first day in California. Disappointed that their new Hawaiian friend didn't have a Hawaiian name, Esther offered her middle name, Kalawakua. She explained that her name translated to "a soft wind that flows softly through the hala trees on the island of Kauai," and the nickname "Windy" was born. Esther married Alan Shugart while in college, and they lived in Chino when their first child, Joanne, was born.
After Joanne's death from cancer at age 3, Esther and Alan moved to San Jose. Esther was a very active stay-at-home mom, who always volunteered at her kids' school as a room mother. She was also a girl scout troop leader and was known for putting on the best birthday parties in the neighborhood. One of her favorite pastimes was playing bridge with her Chop Suey bridge club, and she and Alan were known for their fabulous New Year's Eve parties in Rio Del Mar.
Esther was also very active in community organizations, starting with the Jaycees in San Jose during her 20s. She was the editor of her Kamehameha alumni newsletter and her Almaden community group. She even volunteered at the Welcome Center at San Jose Airport when her daughter, Teri, worked at the airport.
After six years in Saratoga, Esther moved back to San Jose when she married Ralph Marrs in 1973. Esther was a talented oil painter, an activity that she continued well into her later years. Many of her works grace the homes of her children and grandchildren.
Even in her senior years, Esther continued to be a community volunteer by recording over 75 books for Recording for the Blind. She also continued to paint and play bridge and loved attending her annual Kamehameha alumni reunions in Hawaii.
A celebration of Esther's life will be held at a later date in Hawaii.

Our deepest condolences to the family and friends of the deceased